Jinja Dam Inspection (Underwater Civil Engineering Structures at Nalubaale)
Client: Eskom Uganda Ltd
Budget: 160,000 Pounds Sterling
A consortium of Interface Consulting and Bridgezone (now Xiead), a UK based Civil Engineering consultancy firm was contracted by Eskom Uganda Ltd to carry out the inspection of the 60-year-old Nalubaale Dam famously known as Owen Falls Dam.
The purpose of the inspection was to determine the structural integrity of the dam and to propose remedial works. An inspection of this kind was last carried out about 22years ago under the supervision of the then Uganda Electricity Board.
The activities carried out included:
- Note and describe the current condition of the Dam
- Look out for deteriorating structures and faults on concrete wall
- Determine the causes for these decays
- Analyze and provide solutions for repair
- Video recording and still photography underwater
- Propose recommendations for plan of action